Friday, January 23, 2009

They're Here - Yah!!!

Joel Thomas Long - 6 lb 2 oz, 18 3/4 inches long came into the world at 5:21 p.m. on 1/22/09.

Leah Hope Long - 6 lb 1 oz, 18 3/4 inches long came into the world at 5:23 p.m. on 1/22/09.

As you can read from Rebecca's last posting, we decided to do a c-section based on the information we received from the ultrasound, midwife, and doctor.

We arrived at the hospital around 3:00 p.m. They prepared Rebecca for the delivery/surgery. I got to play dress up. Then we went to have these babies delivered.

They did the final preparation for Rebecca in the operating room as I waited outside. While waiting, I could see Rebecca through the window. She looked so beautiful. She was smiling, laughing, and joking with all the people taking care of her. I admire her strength, humor, and faith beyond words. I am so thankful to be married to Rebecca and to have an amazing family with her. As I prayed preparing for the c-section, I was struck with the words, "You can rest now." I felt the peace of God and new everything was going to go well.

Joel and Leah came into the world with great cries and looking very healthy. The doctor and midwife encouraged us that the c-section went very well.

As they cleaned up the babies, we discovered that Joel was having a difficult time breathing. He wasn't filling the lower air sacks and gasping from breath. He was still getting plenty of oxygen, but having to work extra hard. They decided to move Joel to the neonatal care unit. They had to put a breathing devise in his nose, an IV in, and a tube in this throat. He is in great hands. Throughout the night, I went to visit Joel. Each time I visited, he was doing better and better. As of this morning at 8:00 a.m., he was progressing well. He is still on a breathing devise that is much less invasive. The nurses and doctors all feel like he will get through this well. They haven't told us any time frames on when he will move over to the regular nursery.

Leah is doing very well. She is a peaceful little girl. She is sleeping well, breast feeding well, and filling her diapers.

Rebecca had difficulty through the night. She was very nauseous, tired, and uncomfortable. This morning, she is feeling much better.

I'm feeling fairly rested. I learned to sleep on this lovely chair/bed.

I have posted several photos. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Long Family! We are so excited for you...your two new additions are precious! We will be praying for a speedy recovery and for little Joel's breathing too! You have my sympathies as far as a c-section. I have learned to be thankful for modern medicine and for God's perfect timing!
    God Bless,
    Jason and Dollie Blackley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I can't wait to meet them! Rebecca I am praying for a quick recovery and health for the whole fam. Walking really helps a lot after a c-section... and some pain meds too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some BEAUTIFUL babies, congratulations!
    The Potocnik Family

    ReplyDelete